  1. #1
    VIP Member Negreanu's Avatar
    Brasil

    Default Check raise sizing

    PokerStars Zoom Hand #196397060788: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2019/01/30 2:40:05 WET [2019/01/29 21:40:05 ET]
    Table 'Donati' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: leetine ($5.82 in chips)
    Seat 2: EMOCOR ($22.25 in chips)
    Seat 3: joeguerard ($2.57 in chips)
    Seat 4: IainNegreanu ($3.73 in chips)
    Seat 5: cidgeo1993 ($5.02 in chips)
    Seat 6: farapsch3 ($4.41 in chips)
    EMOCOR: posts small blind $0.02
    joeguerard: posts big blind $0.05
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to IainNegreanu [Ad Kd]
    IainNegreanu: raises $0.07 to $0.12
    cidgeo1993: folds
    farapsch3: calls $0.12
    leetine: calls $0.12
    EMOCOR: folds
    joeguerard: folds
    *** FLOP *** [6c 4c Ks]
    IainNegreanu: bets $0.30
    farapsch3: calls $0.30
    leetine: calls $0.30
    *** TURN *** [6c 4c Ks] [9s]
    IainNegreanu: checks
    farapsch3: checks
    leetine: bets $0.88
    IainNegreanu: raises $1.52 to $2.40
    farapsch3: calls $2.40
    leetine: calls $1.52
    *** RIVER *** [6c 4c Ks 9s] [Ah]
    IainNegreanu: bets $0.91 and is all-in
    farapsch3: folds
    leetine: calls $0.91
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    IainNegreanu: shows [Ad Kd] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
    leetine: shows [Ac 2c] (a pair of Aces)
    IainNegreanu collected $9.92 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $10.35 | Rake $0.43
    Board [6c 4c Ks 9s Ah]
    Seat 1: leetine (button) showed [Ac 2c] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 2: EMOCOR (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 3: joeguerard (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: IainNegreanu showed [Ad Kd] and won ($9.92) with two pair, Aces and Kings
    Seat 5: cidgeo1993 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: farapsch3 folded on the River

    Interested in any advice, from bet sizing pre, to why not to check the turn, (I knew it was high risk, and possibly losing lots of value, but I thought any king or pair would bet big, and a flush draw would be unlikely to take a free card.)

    But mostly I am interested in my check raise bet, was it a bit high, a bit low? Does not going all-in look stronger/weaker, would shoving have looked more like a bluff or a draw?

    I think I gave leetine good but not great odds to call the turn with a flush, even if they included the chips I had left, as they would be certain I was not folding the river by that point. Did not expect farapsch to call at all. That certainly gave amazing odds to leetine, who could never fold at that point.

    But mostly for future bets, just how much do I want to be check raising, so that I am not giving the player who bet, odds that are so good they can't really fold.

    Cheers.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Check raise sizing

    Hey Iain, sorry been on holiday then not well so missed this first time round.

    OK, glad you won the hand as i was expecting some big beat when the cards got flipped ~(as is usually the case with a thread lol) but let me put down my thoughts.

    I like the bet sizing all the way through this. You have bet the flop about 2/3 pot size which screams "continuation bet" & then followed that up with a checked turn which backs up everyones thoughts that you were just throwing out a continuation bet on the flop. Your check raise should've screamed strength to the others but it's not too big to shake off the flush chaser (thankfully) & i have no idea what farapsch could have had except a failed chase. I think your 3x check raise would'nt be enough to shake off a chaser so i think in hindsight the safer play would've been to shove all-in although you didn't have much left in the tank anyway. I'd like a really strong check-raise of at least 4x the original raise with such a "drawy" board to shake them off.

    Good win though & nice to see you still passionate even at the lower stakes! I totally lose focus at lower than 0.1/0.25 these days & play way too risky

  3. #3

    Hi Iain, good to see you posting a hand up !

    I like the line as an occasional mix up. 66/44/AA are great hands to do this with as you don't block Kx, which is the most likely hand you'll see when you get the maximum. You can balance this easily with combo draws (JTss/JTcc to name a couple). Just be careful over doing this in multiway pots as rivers can get very tricky to play. Heads-up is best.

    As PB said, I'd make the turn c/r bigger. You could go all-in, given stack sizes.

    But well played, I like it :)

Similar Threads

  1. Leakbuster - Floating a flop check raise profitably
    By I Am Possessed in forum Poker Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-09-2014, 11:33
  2. Raise or Call
    By EvilAdmin in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 03:05
  3. Cash game bet sizing
    By sef in forum Poker Strategy and Tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 16:15
  4. tricky raise
    By EvilAdmin in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28-10-2010, 21:07
  5. Love this re-raise...
    By TomTom96 in forum Big Wins