  1. #1

    Default Satellite Hand: Pre-Flop Decision

    Hi everyone. Same satellite as in the other hand; first gets a seat, no other prizes awarded.

    The SB is an aggressive maniac post-flop and usually pretty aggro pre-flop as well.

    The BB seems decent, has been playing a short stack well and will be aware of the SB's tendencies.

    What is the best play for us here?

    Prima, 30 Buy-in (125/250 blinds, 25 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 4 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

    SB: 5,653 (22.6 bb)
    BB: 2,729 (10.9 bb)
    CO: 2,033 (8.1 bb)
    Hero (BTN): 13,585 (54.3 bb)

    Preflop: Hero is BTN with A of spades 4 of diamonds
    CO folds, Hero raises to 550, SB calls 425, BB raises to 2,704 and is all-in, Hero....

    Thanks all !

  2. #2

    Default Re: Satellite Hand: Pre-Flop Decision

    With the stacks the way they are I can call lay this down. If you had a larger kicker I would call.... maybe 8+ to give you a better shout against small pairs. As is, i'd be very wary of the loose cannon SB who could call you and your odds lessen dramatically. Also, it would be nice to see the SB go up against another smaller stack for more info and perhaps knock the other guy out.

    If the SB was sure to fold (or already had) then I would probably call against the short stack who could be on any 2 cards and you have to try eliminate players to win this.

  3. #3

    You make a very good point about the SB mate. I think he folds a lot if I shove, but might come along it I call.

    I ran the math on this and it is around breakeven, maybe a touch +EV as I gave the BB a fairly tight range (top 12% of hands, so 55+ and almost all broadway combos, the lesser ones only suited).

  4. #4

    4 handed with only 10xBB left I thin k the range of the BB has to be a bit wider so I'd include any Ace & lower pairs too.

  5. #5

    Yeah you're right PB. I mean, I would hate shoving 22-44, as I don't expect two folds ever, but I would imagine it is not that bad, as it shouldn't go 3 way too often.

    Definitely agree on the lower Ax hands.

    Prima, $10 Buy-in (125/250 blinds, 25 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 4 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

    SB: 5,653 (22.6 bb)
    BB: 2,729 (10.9 bb)
    CO: 2,033 (8.1 bb)
    Hero (BTN): 13,585 (54.3 bb)

    Preflop: Hero is BTN with A of spades 4 of diamonds
    CO folds, Hero raises to 550, SB calls 425, BB raises to 2,704 and is all-in, Hero raises to 13,560 and is all-in, SB folds

    Flop: (6,058) 8 of clubs A of diamonds 8 of spades (2 players, 2 are all-in)
    Turn: (6,058) 3 of diamonds (2 players, 2 are all-in)
    River: (6,058) 2 of hearts (2 players, 2 are all-in)

    Results: 6,058 pot
    Final Board: 8 of clubs A of diamonds 8 of spades 3 of diamonds 2 of hearts
    BB showed T of clubs A of hearts and won 6,058 (3,329 net)
    Hero showed A of spades 4 of diamonds and lost (-2,729 net)

Similar Threads

  1. Satellite Hand: Check/Raised on River
    By Scottieboy08 in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2016, 17:40
  2. Satellite Hand: Kinda Confusing or Not?
    By Scottieboy08 in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 17:41
  3. Top pair decision
    By sef in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17-04-2012, 15:33
  4. 200k Satellite Hand
    By Scottieboy08 in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23-01-2011, 18:35
  5. NL 200: River Decision
    By Scottieboy08 in forum Poker Strategy, Analysis and Improvement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-09-2009, 10:15