  1. #1
    is just beginning his journey here Njal's Avatar

    Default New player

    Hi,
    I'm new to playing poker (about a week on online sites) and new to this forum.
    Only played play money games so far, thankfully!

  2. #2

    Default Re: New player

    Hi Njal, welcome to the banter - where do you play and where are you from ?

  3. #3
    is just beginning his journey here Njal's Avatar

    Thanks for the welcome.
    I am from Holmfirth in West Yorkshire and I have been playing at party poker so far in low limit games.
    I have been watching a bit of late night poker on TV too, but the tournament style of play seems a bit too complex for me yet :)

  4. #4
    is just beginning his journey here Njal's Avatar

    My problem at the moment is figuring out how to beat rubbish players.
    Because it's play money (probably), no-one is afraid of calling when they should fold.
    I try to play by the book, but 99% of hands go to the showdown.
    I'm tired of getting beat on the river by someone with 9 6 in their starting hand who flopped a 9 and got a 9 on the river, when I've bid in pre-flop with picture cards.
    Another problem is when I do the right thing i.e. fold after the flop with JJ and everyone starts bidding and raising, and the final winner has TT!
    This did happen in my last online session - in 5/10 fixed limit, someone won a $450 pot (average pot was about $150) with TT.

  5. #5

    Hi Njal, welcome to bonusbanter.

    To answer your problem, you simply need to play even tighter and when you do have a big hand, bet and raise like crazy !

    The JJ hand: It seems like you made a good fold if there is a ton of betting and raising before you, so I wouldn't get too disheartened about the the other guy having TT.

  6. #6
    is just beginning his journey here Njal's Avatar

    Thanks scottieboy.
    The problem is, I see this guys with big chip stacks winning again and again, playing pocket cards like 9 6 and landing a set of 6 on the river!
    I know it's just luck, and the probability is low (which is why you shouldn't chase), yet I still see them picking up the pots while I fold.

    I'll try and ignore them and play tighter though! It does tend to make me want to do the opposite - if I know they are playing almost everything, even holding out with a 6 pair, then suddenly a J pair seems like a very good hand!

  7. #7

    Are we talking play money here Njal ?

  8. #8
    is just beginning his journey here Njal's Avatar

    Yes! I'm going to start with some small limit real money once my confidence has built up a bit.