February 18, 2014

Champions League preview 18/02/14

Share

UEFA Champions League Preview

Bayer Leverkusen v Paris Saint-Germain

First up we have an intriguing encounter which is very tough to predict. PSG sit atop the French Ligue 1 Table 5 points clear of Monaco in 2nd with a gap thereafter.  Bayer Leverkusen are in 2nd position in the Bundesliga and are some 16 points adrift of Bayern Munich. But don’t let that fool you as the Bundesliga is much tougher than the French top division and Bayern Munich could easily top almost all tables in Europe.

Can you pick a winner ?

Can you pick a winner ?

PSG got to the quarter finals last year with the inspirational Zlatan Ibrahimovic steering them there. He is hopeful of getting further this year but I think it will be a tough ask. They are without striker Cavani through a thigh injury and that could be crucial.

Bayer Leverkusen do have their own demons though with 5 of their last 7 games resulting in defeat. They badly need a good result tonight at home after some shocking form lately. On paper I would rate Leverkusen as having a slight upper hand but football can be a game with results based on confidence and Leverkusen are lacking at the moment.

PSG start the match as slight favourites but this will be tough. With Leverkusen missing a top central defencer I am going to go for a scoring draw of 2-2 at odds of 16/1 with BetVictor. This could well set up PSG to go through in the return leg.

Second on the card tonight in our champions league preview is the game we are all itching to see.

Manchester City v Barcelona

This is a match which just screams quality and it’s a pity they are drawn so early in the competition, although for us fans it is always a treat. People will be expecting goals from both sides and I have to agree. Even though there have been a good few times this season we have expected goals and they haven’t appeared this is certainly not going to be one of those times.

Goals Galore ?

Goals Galore ?

Sergio Aguero is still injured for Man City and this has hurt them in the Premier League since. They do welcome the return of Fernandinho in midfield. Man City have scored 68 league goals in just 26 games this year which is phenomenal. Amazingly Man City are here in the last 16 for the first time ever and it doesn’t get tougher than this !

Barcelona need no introduction of course and they fear no-one in Europe. Another surprising fact is that Barca have never faced Man City before so we have no form to go by. Messi & Co will be a daunting prospect for Man City who are known to concede against weaker teams. You have to be strong to bet against Barcelona but they do struggle on English soil. They haven’t won in their last 5 visits to England and have only won 7 times out of 28 appearances in the country. If Aguero was in I would consider City more but I think Barca will edge a thriller 3-2 at odds of 25/1 with BetVictor.

If you don’t have an account then you could get a £25 FREE BET for all new customers signing up using our banner below for BetVictor.

Betvictor Sports Betting