Golf Tips and Previews

October 16, 2013

Shriners Hospital for Children Open 2013

Share

U.S PGA Golf Preview

Shriners Hospital for Children Open 2013

The Season starts anew and we are back on the road to try and gain those elusive FedEx Cup points for 2014. Last year this event saw Ryan Moore win with an impressive 24 under par beating Brandon de Jonge into 2nd place by a single shot. History has shown us that this course is a Birdies haven and will always throw up low scores and suit the players capable of string low rounds together.

summerlin golf TPC Summerlin plays 7,223 yards and is the second easiest par 71 on the tour although there are also dangers to be wary of. Sure, it boasts some fairly wide fairways which all the big hitters will do well with but it isn’t all about power here as the pin positions can mean that driving and fairway position can sometimes outweigh distance and power off the tee. There will be lots of Greens in Regulation by most players but the greens are tough and so finding the green is important, but being close to the pin is where it gets tricky.

It is therefor crucial that we find players who can hit good irons and also ones who can putt well as with these types of courses it is always players who putt well and make the birdies who consistently come out on top come Sunday evening.

This course is also a good opportunity for first time winners as the top players are usually still enjoying their short break from the end of last season. That doesn’t mean the field will be poor quality…… it certainly won,t and we will see top players such as Zach Johson, Brandon de Jonge, Webb Simpson and one of the hottest newcomers to the game last season, Hideki Matsuyama.

On the betting front it’s no surprise to therefor see Johnson, Simpson and Matsuyama lead the way and I must admit they are all with their chances. Matsuyama is a player I bet regularly this year and usually at incredibly huge odds. I first bet him in the U.S Open where he was a mouthwatering 300/1 odds and he ended in a very nice 10th position. This week though he will be around 18/1 and as he is still learning his trade I think those odds are way to short for a betting prospect. So, who do I think we should look at for value this week ?

  1. Graham De Laet – 25/1. His stats are excellent and just what we need round TPC Summerlins. 1st in Total Driving, 3rd in GIR and 4th in Birdies. He should make the cut with ease if playing to his ability.
  2. Brandon de Jonge – 28/1. The big man is a force to be reckoned with although surprisingly he still hasn’t won a tour event. That has to change and last year he almost did that at this very course with a 23 under par 2nd place. He is ranked number 1 on the tour for birdies gained and should do well again.
  3. Spencer Levin – 55/1. You might be unfamiliar with this guy but he is one of the form players at the moment and has caught my eye with 4 top 10’s in his last 8 events. He was 5th here 2 years ago and 4th the year before. Struggled with injury last year and missed this event but he is back now…… and in form !
  4. David Hearn – 66/1. 4th on the tour for putting and when he gets it going he is a birdie making machine! His odds are surely too big and his 5th 2 years ago before a creditable 30th last year show he loves this course and can do well.
  5. Morgan Hoffman – 100/1. Again this guy can shoot some very low scores, he just needs to do it consistently for 4 rounds. He is ranked 2nd for Par 4 birdies this year and 13th in overall birdies.

I would love to see young Hideki win the event and finally breakthrough into the winners area on Sunday but I would be even happier to see one of the above win as I will have my hard earned cash on them ! The event will be shown on Sky Sports as usual so we can watch the drama unfold and as there will be lots of Birdies you can expect there to be drama aplenty come the final round.

Run out of time tonight but here are my picks for the European Event for this week :

ISPS Handa Perth International

Brett Rumford – 25/1
Marcus Fraser – 33/1
Richard Bland – 33/1
Scott Laycock 66/1
Craig Lee – 125/1
Rikard Karlberg – 150/1

Fingers crossed for another good golfing week and some big money returns !

I will be betting using BetVictor who are one of the best when it comes to Golf Betting Odds and value. They are giving 1/4 the odds on a top 5 finish and any one of my player finishing top 5 would give a decent return.

If you don’t yet have a BetVictor account then you could also receive a £25 FREE BET matched on your first effort win or lose. Just click the banner below to sign up or get more info from BetVictor :

What are your thoughts or tips ? Feel free to comment below or join in our free forums for a discussion.

4 Comments

  1. BBTipster

    worth a punt on those

  2. BBTipster

    3 of the 5 tips have made the cut. Morgan Hoffman is sitting best on 8 under in a tie for 9th. Odds of 100/1

  3. bonusbanter

    A small update on how things are looking if anyone followed these tips.

    In the US Golf we had only 2 players making the cut which is very disappointing but we are looking ok going into round 3. Spencer Levin is 4 under par in a tie for 48th and our best hope is Morgan Hoffman (100/1) who is handily placed on 8 under and sits in 13th place.

    In the European Tour we have played 3 rounds and the final round starts tonight late. 4 of our 6 players made the cut. Bland 51st, Lee 31st, Fraser 17th and our best chance for glory of Brett Rumford (25/1) sitting in 2nd place just one shot off the lead.

  4. bonusbanter

    hopeful of a big boooooooom